With the introduction of the new Adelphi University blogs, it has become necessary to create a policy that details what types of blogs are intended to be part of the official university blog services as well as rules and guidelines that authors and readers must follow when uploading content or contributing comments.
If you would like to create and maintain an official Adelphi blog, please read the policies below, and then fill out the Blog Interest Form.
The goals of Adelphi University's sponsored blogs are: (1) to publicize the activities, ideas, and vision of the University and its community; and (2) to provide a forum for discussion between students, faculty, staff and the larger Adelphi community.
Anyone submitting content to or commenting on an Adelphi University blog agrees to the following:
- Adelphi University provides blog services in support of scholarly, curricular, and co-curricular communications conducted by members of the University community. Current Adelphi University faculty, staff, administration, students, and alumni with an active network account may place a request for the creation of a blog to be used for such purposes that support the goals and vision of Adelphi University.
- Members of the Adelphi community who wish to have a University-hosted blog must submit an application that details their role at the University, and the intended purpose of their blog. They must obtain approval for their blog from an appropriate supervisor, director, or adviser.
- Blog applications will be reviewed by the IMG within two weeks of the submission of an application. The applicant and person who approved the blog will receive notification of the blog approval status within two weeks of submission.
- Use of the blog service and the content of all electronic pages are subject to all applicable Adelphi University policies and local, state and federal laws. These policies include but are not limited to:
- All material posted on the blog service must be in compliance with copyright laws. Authors have the responsibility of acquiring all necessary permissions to post copyrighted material.
- The selling of online advertising space to non-University entities on any web page hosted or sponsored by Adelphi University is strictly forbidden.
- Announcements may not include content or links that, upon viewing, reasonably causes an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning and/or working environment.
- Announcements may not be used to promote activities that are illegal, support commercial activities not associated with the University, or to provide personal financial gain.
- A web page may be considered in violation of content policies if it contains links to pages that violate the policy.
- Blog users are responsible for their own submissions, whether the person is a blog author or a commenter. All members of the University community are encouraged to communicate differing perspectives. Community members are also, however, entitled to work and live in an environment free of harassment. Therefore any activity that violates Adelphi University's policy on discrimination and harassment is prohibited. Be mindful of language and respectful of fellow users' opinions. Adelphi University reserves the right to define what we feel is inappropriate content.
- The following statement must appear on all pages created through the University's blog service, unless the pages were explicitly approved for official University business: "The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by Adelphi University. The copyright and all related rights to original work posted via the blog service are owned by and are the sole responsibility of its author(s)."
- Adelphi University may establish limits regarding the use of the blog service and may modify these limits at any time. This includes but is not limited to the total size of the blog content, the size of images, videos, software or other material posted to a blog. Adelphi University reserves the right to require users of the blog service to utilize University approved templates for all hosted pages.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to archive the content of all blogs in the blog service for non-commercial, historical purposes. By using the blog service, authors grant Adelphi University non-exclusive rights to archive blog content in any format.
- Adelphi University Services offers the blog service at the author's own risk. The blog service is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. The University does not guarantee that it will provide ancillary software, such as databases and script languages, that authors may wish to use in their blogs.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to remove, at any time, at its sole discretion, any content posted on the blog service that it deems in violation of University policy or local, state or federal law. Adelphi reserves the right to remove blogs that have been inactive for more than one month.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the provisions of the blog service.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to include a link to University-hosted blogs on materials including, but not limited to, promotional brochures, internal and external emails, advertisements of all media, and sections of the University’s Web site.
- Protect your privacy and the privacy of other individuals; be aware that what you write will be viewable by the public for extended periods of time.